Monday, December 28, 2009

First Entry

Today I began the long run that will end when I cannot run, probably when I'm ninety. Now I'm 5o years old, ten lbs. overweight and really flabby. Benchmarks will be a marathon a year, 4o more than the four I've done till age 90. In other words, I hope to have completed 44 marathons by my ninetieth b-day, at which point I can switch to wheelchair racing.

Today I ran. It was great. I hadn't run for over a year, having brainwashed myself that I was too old, tired, deserving of rest and indulgence. But not only did I not enjoy myself more, I developed insomnia and a drinking problem. Over-indulgence and laziness are over-rated!

It's going to be one long healing run. I don't need to be in a hurry to get back in shape. I just need to do it every day...to stick to the plan. It will be fun.

Today I ran and it was great. I covered almost three miles, than biked a couple miles, lifted some weights and went on a walk in the sunshine. I think I will sleep tonight. It was cool just moving, getting into a rhythm, listening to music. At first I tried listening to Jack Johnson but needed more energy so I switched to the Rolling Stones. I need to put some peppy CCM on my ipod because I don't have much sympathy for the devil. (Not saying I don't like the Stones. Just that I can't relate to their values or testosterone, being a woman and all.)

I will run out my pain over my mom's eminent death. I will outrun inertia and personal weakness. I will not try to prove anything, be better than anyone, beat anyone...I will just run outrunning myself yesterday. I will just run because I like to run. No, I love to run. I missed it. Tomorrow and the next day I will run. I will run like I breathe. I will be happy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment