Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2nd Entry - Tues. Dec. 29, Recovery Day

Today I am still excited about running and plan to stay that way. I am taking a recovery day even though I would like to run again because easing back into it and patience ensure lack of injury.

On this recovery day I will rest my body but exercise my mind. Mind precedes motion. Mind motivates, animates, deliberates, makes fluid. There may be dumb jocks; there aren't dumb athletes. True athletes know art of motion. They're in harmony with their bodies...in harmony with their surroundings. Constantly relaxed yet alert, monitoring/adjusting yet detached, engaged yet free. True endurance athletes know economy of motion. They have the mental edge that propells them through fatigue: their bodies whisper "tired" but their minds sing "flow" and momentum carries them like a wind.

Today I am remembering running is simple. Don't confuse yourself with running magazines and extra gadgets. Years ago I ran my best races in cut-off jeans. Just do it, to use a useful cliche. Put on those tennies (any kind) and run. Walk all you want when you don't feel like running. Soon walking will seem slow and you will run again. The best way to learn efficient running is to run barefoot. Kids do. When you run barefoot you shorten your stride, you keep over your center of gravity and you use your whole foot with each step. Learn how to run barefoot gradually, on grass. Then graduate to sand-running for an ankle workout. Then back to grass. Then back to shoes. But when you put back on your shoes, run like you're still barefoot. Run like a kid in intervals/quick spurts, then ease back and cruise. Like you're playing, having fun. You'll put your heart through its paces without staring at a runner's watch and getting serious. Then after lots of running play, graduate to mile intervals. But even then, don't make it daunting. Instead, pick mile markers that invite excitement: For example, "I'm going to run through that mile-long field like I'm chasing wolves. Then I'll walk awhile and pick some daisies. Then the wolves will chase me back across the field." Whatever keeps you light on your feet and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment