Saturday, January 30, 2010

On Being Sick and Unable to Run

I have had a really bad cold for several days and have not run.  But I ordered a new pair of running shoes and re-read some fitness tips that I will write here.  (If I can set a precedent of doing something to further my running even when I am sick, then it will not be discouraging but a time to use the cold and flu season for mental fitness.)

From Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine
422- Virtually anyone can take a dream and forge it into a goal.  As a friend confided: "Having been lazy and laid-back most of my life, I was amazed at my ability to set an objective and totally commit myself to it."
P. 423 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: "My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence."
p. 251 Top runners may cover 20 miles a day when training for competition.  Yet backpackers can consistently surpass that mileage while carrying backpacks and gaining and losing thousands of feet in elevation....(the secret) is a carefully regulated pace...for each mile, expend the least amount of energy...What is the optimum speed that will gain us the best mileage?  Or the least fatigue?  Mainly it is a matter of listening to our bodies, and striving for the optimum cardiovascular rate...Then you realize a reduction in per-mile energy expenditure.

So, it's about pacing yourself, listening to your body and training for the long haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment